16 Weeks Pregnant
🎉 Days til Baby: 168
Your baby is 4.6” this week. That’s the size of a Magic 8 ball.
👶 Your Baby
- Your baby is starting to form taste buds!
- She’s also growing toenails.
- The umbilical cord which is now fully developed. It normally has one vein and two arteries to keep baby growing and healthy, and is covered with a thick goo called Wharton’s jelly. (Goo is not the technical term.)
💪 Your Body
- Feeling that glow? Increases of blood flow and the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin really do make some pregnant women look great. The same factors, though, can cause oily skin or acne during pregnancy instead.
- Feeling winded? It’s very common for pregnant women to feel shortness of breath. With more progesterone, your body is tricking you into breathing more often and more deeply to get oxygen in. Also as the baby grows, she will push on your lungs and make it hard to take full, deep breaths. Just remember that it’s normal and you can take it easy.
- At your next appointment, your OB or midwife will probably start measuring your fundal height. It’s less fun than it sounds. It’s basically the size of your bump, or the distance from your pubic bone to the top of your belly. This measurement is used as a proxy to make sure baby is growing. (And we love non-invasive evaluations.)
So, you’re gonna have a baby shower
Sure, they are gendered and outdated, but like weddings, baby showers aren’t just about the future parent(s). They are about your community – people who’ve known you your whole life, who cried when you told them you were expecting, and who want to honor this rite of passage with pregattinis, baby rattle cake pops, and a cute giraffe.
So how do you deal? Here’s our guide for not just getting through it but enjoying it.
Who should host? This etiquette is so antiquated. Whoever wants to should do it, probably your sister, bestie, close aunt, or even you (if you’re up for it).
When to have it? 6 - 8 weeks before your due date is a good rule of thumb.
Pro tip: More and more families are opting to skip the gift ceremony. If honoring gifters is really important, consider a display shower instead where guests bring unwrapped gifts. This is totally a thing.
Who to invite? Women-only baby showers are kinda passe, so if your partner wants to join and you’re cool with it, feel free to open the doors. But sisterhood is powerful. If you want some real talk (and to cut the guest list in half), keep it ladies only.
Games to play? It’s no secret that most shower games are terrible. Here are three winning activities to try instead:
Baby Mad Libs: Print these. Your funniest friends can read them out loud to keep the mood light and festive, and some wise souls might give you good advice, too.
ABC Blocks: Get some blank blocks and put out colored Sharpies for people to make a DIY alphabet and number block set.
FUN FACT: Your baby can already taste what you’re eating! There was this whole study with carrot juice, and it turns out we’re already imprinting our future children with every kale salad or pint of Ben & Jerry’s.